|My pack -- I think I need a name for her. Suggestions?|
WHAT THIS MEANS: I will be running over 172 miles from the Grand Canyon (my happy place) to the Grand Staircase (running through Kanab!) and the only supplies I will be given by the race crew is water. And shelter at night.
DETAILS: I must carry all my calories for 7 days (minimum 2000 calories/day), headlamps, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, extra clothes, etc while running across the relentless desert.
I love to run. And I love the desert. I'm ready for this! I'm so so excited!!
One of the biggest challenges of the race is ensuring you have proper food and gear. The required calories is 2000/day. But I decided to pad that a bit because the last thing I want is to be hungry. Yesterday I spent hours, and hours, vitamixing, packing, repacking, and reanalyzing every little thing I was going to take along.
|Food and gear for the G2G Ultra|
- 2 Honey Stinger chews
- 7 Honey Stinger gingerbread waffles
- 6 Honey Stinger power bars
- 13 Honey Stinger gels
- 700 calories of crushed potato chips
- 7 days worth of Rebound (electrolytes) mixed w/ Tangy Tangerine (vitamins) and Pollen Burst (energy)
- Breakfasts: 7 days worth of oats, chia and protein powder
- Lunch(es): Mac and cheese (pulverized), Ramen (pulverized), chili Mac (pulverized)
- Dinner(s): Mountain House Beef Stroganoff, dehydrated and pulverized, 2 servings; Nat Geo Chicken and Rice, dehydrated and pulverized, 2 servings; Mountain House lasagna, dehydrated and pulverized, 2 servings; Mountain House sweet and sour pork AND chicken and rice with extra minute rice, dehydrated and pulverized.
- Extras: Extra chocolate protein and oats, extra mac and cheese, one extra dinner, just in case. Tea and coffee.
- Raidlight Ultralight Olmo 20 White with 2x 750ml Bottles
- Yeti sleeping bag (courtesy of Omar Davis -- this thing weighs nothing! Almost unreal!)
- sleeping pad (I also got this from Omar, who ran this race 2 years ago. It's lightweight and will provide a better night's sleep than a thinner pad). I don't even know the brand.. Omar?
- Patagonia lightweight down jacket
- Smartwool short sleeve top
- Smartwool running shorts
- Smartwool sports bra
- Smartwool long underwear, super light (for camp)
- Smartwool long sleeve super light top (for camp)
- Injinji toe socks
- Salomon Speed Cross 3
- Dirty Girl Gaitors
- Compression sleeves
- Gerber featherlight knife
- Black Diamond carbon collapsible trekking poles
- 2 Black Diamond headlamps
- blister kit
- silicone collapsible bowl for tea/coffee
- flipflops for camp
- G2G buff
- random other stuff
I weighed my pack last night and it came in at just under 18 lbs! YEH!
Stay tuned for information as the race gets closer. I'll be posting links to daily race results, info on how you can email me during the week (!!!!), and just other general chit chat like how I'm soooo nervous I could puke. Yeh, that's kinda where I'm at right now.
Thanks for reading! :)